Liam Harper is a Sydney-based fashion photographer who contributes articles on the technical and artistic aspects of fashion photography. A graduate of the Sydney College of the Arts, Liam has worked with some of the biggest names in the fashion industry. He has a keen eye for detail and a unique perspective on fashion that comes from behind the lens.
At 22, you're at a stage in life where you're beginning to establish your independence and sense of self. It's natural to question the advice you receive, especially from your family, as you navigate your own path. However, it's important to remember that your family has a wealth of wisdom and experience that can be valuable in shaping your decisions, including those related to fashion.
Taking advice from your family seriously at 22 doesn't mean blindly following their every suggestion. It's about finding a balance between honoring their perspective and staying true to your own personal style and preferences. Here are a few tips to help you navigate this delicate balance:
1. Listen with an open mind: Approach conversations with your family members with a willingness to listen and consider their viewpoints. Even if you ultimately choose to go in a different direction, hearing their thoughts can provide valuable insights and alternative perspectives.
2. Respect their experience: Remember that your family members have likely witnessed fashion trends come and go over the years. Their advice is rooted in a deeper understanding of what has stood the test of time. While you may be drawn to the latest trends, consider incorporating timeless pieces into your wardrobe that can be styled in various ways.
3. Find common ground: Seek to find common ground between your personal style and your family's advice. Look for ways to incorporate their suggestions into your outfits while still staying true to your own unique taste. This can be as simple as adding a classic accessory or incorporating a color they recommend into your ensemble.
4. Experiment and explore: Don't be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone and try new things. Fashion is an ever-evolving art form, and your family's advice can be a guiding light as you navigate different styles and trends. Use their suggestions as a starting point for your own experimentation and self-expression.
5. Trust your instincts: Ultimately, you are the one who knows yourself best. Trust your instincts and intuition when it comes to making fashion choices. If something doesn't feel right or align with your personal style, it's okay to respectfully decline the advice given. Remember, fashion is a form of self-expression, and staying true to yourself is key.
Taking advice from your family seriously at 22 is about finding a balance between honoring their wisdom and staying true to your own unique style. By listening with an open mind, respecting their experience, finding common ground, experimenting, and trusting your instincts, you can navigate the world of fashion with confidence and authenticity.
Wishing you all the best on your fashion journey!